Saturday, April 12, 2008

It Feels SO GOOD!!

Well, I got off to kind of a bumbling start this morning...I went off and left my cell phone on the sailboat and had to go back after breakfast to get it...luckily I was only 7 miles from the marina when I realized I had forgotten it. I gave a brief fantasy thought to leaving it...lol...but my daughter and friends would panic if I was unavailable by phone.

My little dock neighbor, Sweet Miss Maddie, who thinks me riding that big bike is the coolest, was there fishing with her Daddy and I got a picture of her sitting on my bike for luck and then gave her a lady rider patch...I don't know which one of us was most tickled...the picture is down and to the right. She looks like I felt...like a kid about to have a big adventure!

Lots of sunshine and no rain today, but oh my, the wind was tough all day...I was truly grateful to be riding a heavy machine. It started cooling off about 3:00 and I stopped and layered on all my leather. The only minor aggravation I had was a big truck (I know, shame on me for complaining) pulling half a mobile home and the wind was so hard, he was leaving chunks of insulation...not so bad, just blowing everywhere...and pieces of gutter that were easier to dodge, but more dangerous. Whoever was waiting for that half a house got only about a quarter of it.

Coming into Memphis, I took the "scenic" route (US72/Poplar) through Germantown...lots and lots of gorgeous old brick ivy covered huge homes and a zillion red lights, but it popped me out right at I-40 at the Mississippi River bridge. It was fun to just blow right by the weigh station on the Arkansas side. I'm in West Memphis all snugged into a nice room for the night.

Tomorrow it's all interstate to Russellville, which will be my base for the rest of the week. I'll put the Road King in 6th gear and enjoy the quiet overdrive...I wasn't anywhere today to get out of 5th...it takes at least 70 mph to need the 6th gear. I used to wonder if that was the "go to jail gear" LOL

All in all, it was a beautiful easy day. I put in 223 miles today and only have 160-something to do tomorrow. You regular riders will know what I mean by this...that place where you settle into the ride and relax and start breathing...it took 140 miles for me to get there today...I really needed this trip!

Thanks for checkin' in on me and I'll keep you posted on the rest with more pictures.

7 comments:

Lady R (Di) said...

Moonlight, Harley and I rode up to Birmingham yesterday to see his Mom in the Hospital. As you observed, the wind was terrible, but we still had some good riding. We went I 65 up from Montgomery, so we could get there a little quicker, but we took Hwy. 31 home, which allowed a slower more scenic return. Glad you had a good ride. See you on the road sometime. Lady R

Moonlight said...

Lady R, thanks for looking in on me...I'm sorry Harley's mom is in the hospital. I know I-65 must have been a fight the whole way, so I'm glad you had a better ride home.
Moonlight

Camron said...

Hello Moonlight, I found your page through Lady Ridesalot's comments. Wanted to welcome you to the blogosphere.
I hope you have a safe & enjoyable trip. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Enjoy the rest of your ride.
Ride safe.
Keep writing.
We'll keep reading.

Later

Ronman said...

Moonlight, I'm enjoying riding along online with ya. Man I'm gonna be cussing you in the moring when I crawl into that damn freight truck knowing you're on your scooter. Oh well I only have a couple more weeks until I have tons of riding to do while I vacate.

Ride Safe

Ronman

Anonymous said...

Hey Teetaw
While you are out on the road stop by. We're right off I-40...river and home!!! Love you!! Tippeetoes

Anonymous said...

Hey Teetaw,
Remember during your travels we are right off I-40!! Love Tippeetoes