Friday, April 11, 2008

Road Trip!!!!

Hi to all my Sisters in the wind and Sisters on the Fly ( http://www.sistersonthefly.com/ ) ...



I'm headed out this weekend on my first long trip since I got single and I'm really looking forward to the trip and the time off from work...there's a picture of me and my truck "MAXINE" on this page...I thought she should get her picture in here since she's paying for this trip...lol...This won't be the first long trip I've taken on my motorcycle, but it will be my first trip by myself. Actually, it won't be that expensive...even at the price of Premium gas and a thousand miles round trip, it beats towing the bike with my old Lincoln Town Car, and I can't even think about what it would cost to take Maxine on a thousand mile trip (diesel) just for fun.

For my Sisters on the Fly, who so courageously pull their little vintage trailers all over the country, you may be surprised to know that your truck driving sister is the most anxious one about sharing the road with big trucks, whether with my trailer or on my bike. I'm sure it's because I am so aware of how big, how heavy, and the limitations on getting stopped because I live with it all on a daily basis.

It's amazing how much "stuff" I was able to get packed on the bike. Rolling my jeans and shirts made room for probably more clothes than I really need...will let you know at the end of the trip if I could have done with less than 5 pairs of jeans and a dozen shirts. My laptop takes up almost one whole saddlebag, so I am using 2 travel bags strapped behind my seat and I found that to be pretty comfortable...not enough weight to feel top heavy. I do remember the days, though, when a bar of soap and a bottle of shampoo would suffice for any trip...OMG the stuff I just had to have in my shower bag this trip...a sign of my age I guess! When Maxine and I are working, I have this big rolling bedroom with cabinets and a closet and don't have to condense my things down to what will go down the road comfortably on two wheels.

My trip started this morning in Guntersville, Al and since we are having terrible weather today, I just waited for the hour and a half gap I needed to get to Athens, Al, to my little sailboat "Ama" where I will spend the night and start off toward Arkansas in the morning. I made a "rest stop" at the Harley dealer in Huntsville and had a cup of coffee, watched the bikes come and go for a while and then set back out into the wind. As I'm writing this, the Civil Defense Alarm is going off because we are under a Tornado watch this afternoon. Boats move in a storm...houses don't...and I feel as safe as is possible here.

More tomorrow night. God Bless You and thanks for taking this trip with me!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, hope you're havin' a ball! Sister 231

Ronman said...

Can't wait to ride along on this trip with ya. I just ran across your blog over on LadyR's place. Keep us posted.

Ride Safe

Ronman

Carole said...

Whata great adventure! I love that you are having so much fun! May the Lord bless you and command his angels concerning you to guard you and keep you safe. Hope to see you one of these days! -Carole Sister #293

Moonlight said...

Thanks to you all for your encouragement!! So Far, so good!!

Anonymous said...

Glad to be a part of the trip