Thursday, April 17, 2008

Found an Internet Hookup Finally!!

Well, I 've been keeping a log offline on my computer and this morning I got on my bike, rode over here to the Flying J truckstop. I'm having a nice breakfast while I upload what I have saved for you. I'll get back online Saturday on my way home. The weather is going to be just right and I'm looking forward to the ride.

Thanks to you all for your comments and support on this trip. RONMAN, just hang in there til your vacation...SISTERS...y'all have been your usual Fabulous selves...I knew I could count on you for encouragement.Note to Self….
Sunday, April 13, 2008
8:18 PM

don't forget sunscreen!!! When I got up this morning, my cheeks were so red and I looked like a raccoon where my sunglasses had been.

It was cooooolllldddd riding today, but I stayed in the saddle for longer stretches than yesterday…it seemed the miles just raced by, possibly because I was on the interstate and totally focused on the traffic around me. Moonlight will get up and get on by any slower vehicle…and in just a second or two!! Most of the day, I kept it to the speed limit of 70. The wind was rough again today, but coming head on and I didn't take such a beating from it. This trip will keep me from ever having the thought again of selling my Road King and buying a cheaper, lighter bike. I like to travel…she sticks to the road in some awful wind and the 412 miles cost less than $30 in gas. I got a real feel for the new 6 speed today…the bike gets quieter and clearly more fuel efficient. It does need to be at 70 mph at least to be quiet…I could hear some complaint from her if I stayed in 6th and let the mph drop any.

The trucks were considerate in passing and being passed, for the most part. I'm guessing they cut me a little more slack for being dressed in pink leather…lol…really, the pink is not a fashion statement (my SOTF sisters will say different-I'm known for being a closet "girly girl")…in my experience, pink is not a color drivers normally see on the road and I believe they look…and then LOOK AGAIN…and that's what I want…I want to know they see me.

I'm tucked away in a nice little cabin on the Arkansas River and will have to Wi-Fi from somewhere else during the week. Tomorrow will be short hop to the Grocery and wait for the weather to warm up just a bit…after all, this is a vacation…I did the endurance run to get here…not gonna do it all week. At the end of this trip, I will place a link to the nice place where I am staying.

MONDAY April 14, 2008

Still a little cold and windy today, so I only got out to get some groceries and try to get my bearings. Russellville, AR is a nice place…everything a girl could need is only about 5-10 miles from where I am staying. There is a HOBBY LOBBY here…wonder what I can do without going home…lol…it’s fun to shop knowing my packing space is so limited. I just kept telling myself “Oh, I’ll get that next time!” All the people here have been friendly. I’m planning to do some cooking while I can…I am really tired of “road” food. Breakfast was Waffle House and that was fun because the girl who waited on me rides a Dyna Wide Glide, so we just chatted away. She couldn’t believe I was on an “alone” trip…she says she rides with her husband…In reality, it is safer as far as visibility to ride in a group, but there is the danger of becoming accustomed to being a “follower”…it could have happened to me and still could if I don’t pay attention.

“IF you’re SCARED…say You’re SCARED…and then get on with it!”

It took a long time to get to sleep last night…I’m used to being in different places at bedtime, but not used to a different bed and I don’t think I had realized how safe I feel with Maxine…all closed up in my little space. Clearly it was time to get away and challenge myself a little bit.

I’m looking at the weather for the rest of the week and it is supposed to get better everyday. The roads here are just right for some pleasant riding. US Hwy 64 runs parallel to I-40 and what I’ve ridden so far has been surprising short on red lights and stop signs.

TUESDAY April 15, 2008

Went out and got myself some new freckles today…lol…the sun has been shining and the temps are going on up. Lake Dardanelle is muddy right now from all the recent storms, but there are lots of “pull offs” on the nice highways that run right alongside the lake/Arkansas River that make nice rest stops to enjoy the sun. It’s still a little cooler than I would like…tomorrow is supposed to be warmer.

OH>>>>this is one of those states where No Helmet is required for a rider over 21 (I think that’s the age)…I’m wearing my helmet, anyway. Maybe I’ll try riding by the lake without it tomorrow, but no way I’m hauling ass down I-40 without one. My luck…I’d get hit by a bug going 90…lol

It’s been wonderful…the quiet…and strange, too…my truck is going to sound like a 747 leaving the ground when I get back to work. She always seems loud after a weekend at the sailboat…I can only imagine after a week off. I’m still waking up at the crack of dawn, but that’s okay…I do love to have coffee while the sun comes up.

WEDNESDAY April 16, 2008

AWWWW what a beautiful day it was today…I rode and rode and no sunscreen can stand up to all day in the wind, so I got a little sunburned, but it was so worth it…the first time this year I could tuck my leather jacket into a saddle bag, shuck the chaps, and enjoy riding without thinking about being cold. I did stop by the lake about 4 miles from here on the way in this afternoon and took off my helmet for the short ride back…y’all can ride bareheaded if you want to…I don’t need the worry and I know my hair would be just as messed up…or worse…than it already is with the helmet hair.
I look just as “alien” as anybody else with a helmet and I do support your right to ride without one if you want to. The ride is for me and I don’t fool myself into thinking that’s an elegant picture…me astride an 850 pound rumbling machine…but it’s my own thrill and I don’t want to be distracted by trying to look “cool”.

Got some calls from my girlfriends today and to be honest, the conversation was most welcome. I don’t think I’m lonely and my whole working life has prevented me from being a “Miss you” kind of person…but some girl talk after several days of basic silence has re-energized my enthusiasm for the rest of the trip. Of course, knowing that the weather is going to be Perfect for the trip home hasn’t hurt anything, either…

Tomorrow I will go over to the big truck stop by the interstate and hook into some internet…I have turned my head whenever I have passed a truck stop in the last few days. The price of diesel is going to hurt my feelings when I get back to work and I have avoided thinking about that this week.







3 comments:

Ronman said...

Now that's my kind of vacation. In fact I'm gonna do one similar in a few weeks. Oh and I've been to Russelville, Arkansas many a time. I can't remember the name of the pickle factory just east of there that I'd scale at. Have a safe rest of your ride ma'am and I can't wait to read more about it.

Ronman

Anonymous said...

Do you have pink chaps? Pink chaps are all the rage with bloggers these days.

Moonlight said...

I do have pink chaps...or at least they were really pink when I got them. After lots and lots of miles, they fade.