Sunday, April 27, 2008

Panic...It Happens

I was reading the comments and there is one from my friend Paula (see the pic of her with her lovely "Ruby") reminding me that I drove right through her fence while we were learning to ride on her little farm.

I completely panicked and held the throttle wide open, ran through the fence, fell down...it is funny when we talk about it now, but I was never so scared. It taught me a lesson about myself, though, so I do something that is probably a big NO_NO, but it works for me. I tighten the throttle on my bike and I then have to make the bike slow down and through muscle memory, it's an automatic thing now when I get into a quick stop situation. When I first started riding, it seemed like throttle forward should be GO and back should be stop, when of course, it is the exact opposite. I'm not even going to get into how long it took me to learn to back up a tractor-trailer...lol...we just have to do what works for us, I guess.

Oh, and when I made my next circle around after crashing the fence (on Paula's bike), there was Paula, calmly nailing the fence back up with me shouting 'Don't stand there!!!" and she only laughed and said "You won't do it again..." and I haven't done that particular thing again, anyway.

1 comment:

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Way too funny, Glad you didn't get hurt!

Glad you persevered, and continued trying till you got it right too!